Places to Visit in Austin
Texas as a Vacation Destination
- Posted by admin on 9/22/2008 8:36:35 PM
- No Comment »
Traveling is great fun but you do need the right destination. If you’ve been planning a terrific vacation this year round, then look no further than Austin, Texas. The historic city ahs one of the best music vacations you could ever dream of as well as a host of other attractions which can keep you busy for a long, long, time.
Here’s a comprehensive listing of just a few things you can do while at Austin.
Austin has so many things to do and see for free that you are guaranteed a great time sightseeing. A few family friendly and historic locations are,
- The Star of Texas Fair & Rodeo which is an annual event is guaranteed to keep you and family entertained for hours on end. A wide range of show animals like horses, cows, bulls, pigs, as well as cowboy’s parade for the Rodeo keeping spectators and tourists entertained. There is the ever present food stalls, Rodeo events, lights, musical events and carnival rides to keep the children entertained as well as adults.
- The night life is booming too! 6th Street Festivals based in the 6th Street Entertainment District as well as the Warehouse district in downtown Austin are well known all over the US as well as outside Texas for the collections of bars, pubs and theatres. Approximately seven square blocks of Austin ranging from East 6th Congress Avenue extending up to Interstate 35 have several clubs, bars live music and theatres as well as local street fairs organized annually. There are art and craft fairs as well as several children’s and family events also organized all year around but do check before scheduling a visit.
- Texas State Capitol has a grand pink facade which is impressive to look at and the entry is free too! The historical facade and the imposing rotunda, the architecturally impressive staircases, as well as the impressive gardens are really a sight worth seeing. Entry is free and you can enjoy a leisurely picnic on the vast grounds with the teeming greenery.
- For nature aficionados, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center-has a huge range of greenery as well as several volunteers who are more than happy to take you around the huge grounds for sight seeing. If you want a relaxing jog then Zilker Park is the place for you. And along the Town Lake’s Congress Avenue Bridge, there is the huge Mexican free-tailed bat colony which departs at sunset for hunting. If you are on the bridge at sunset you will see a sight worth watching when thousands of bats exit the park for hunting.
- Art freaks have not been neglected with the Blanton are museum having the largest collection of over 17,000 pieces of eye popping art from the ancient to the contemporary. Newer pieces are added nearly everyday and you have to pay a minima fee for entrance which is well worth the collection.
- The history fans can visit the Lyndon B. Johnson Library and Museum which has a variety of presidential documents President Johnson's time in office especially of the time during the Vietnam War. The Museum has a huge collection of several artifacts and memorabilia related to the Oval Office furniture.